Using anything to mark the placement of the ball on a field goal attempt is illegal on the college and pro levels.
Spurrier asks SEC if tape trick legal
Associated Press
COLUMBIA, S.C. -- South Carolina coach Steve Spurrier said Alabama used some tape trickery to spot field goals and extra points last weekend and is asking the Southeastern Conference if that is legal.
While reviewing video of the Game****s' (No. 24 BCS, No. 23 AP) loss, Spurrier said Tuesday that it looked as if the Crimson Tide holder had put a small piece of white tape on the ground to spot PATs and field goals.
"I thought you just had to put it on the ground. But they had a little piece of white tape or something, and I looked at it on tape and I said, 'What's that little piece of white there?' Then after the guy kicked it he grabbed it and put it back in his pocket," Spurrier said.
SEC officials received a formal complaint from South Carolina officials Tuesday and are looking into the matter, league spokesman Charles Bloom said.
Alabama officials said its coaches have been reminded of the rule on placekicks.
Crimson Tide kicker Leigh Tiffin hit both extra points and field goals of 25 and 35 yards Saturday in the 20-6 victory. He also missed a 49-yarder. The senior is 9-of-11 on field goals and 21-of-23 on PATs this season.
Spurrier said he has no idea if what he thinks happened is legal.
"I've never seen that before," Spurrier said. "But I'm sure they've probably been doing it all year."
The NCAA football rulebook (Rule 6-3; Article 10; subsection d) says:
"Any device or material used to mark the spot of a scrimmage place kick or elevate the ball makes the kick illegal."
The penalty is "illegal kick" and is five yards from the previous spot.
Copyright 2009 by The Associated Press
[CENTER][SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[/CENTER]
[CENTER] "Believe deep down in your heart that you're destined to do great things." JVP[/CENTER]
Using anything to mark the placement of the ball on a field goal attempt is illegal on the college and pro levels.
...And if you ain't down with that, I got 2 words for ya....
No other team has said anything, but Steve 'saw it' so hes gonna make a big deal;
if this had happened before, the other teams would have been able to see it as well.
I don't see the point of this. What is the SEC gunna do? Tell em they can't do that anymore?
Still, if they're doing it, it's an unfair advantage aka "cheating"..
...And if you ain't down with that, I got 2 words for ya....
I know but if its already been done what more can they do? Throw some more probation time on em.![]()
Prolly nothing..
...And if you ain't down with that, I got 2 words for ya....
TUSCALOOSA, Ala. -- Alabama coach Nick Saban said his kickers will not use tape to spot field goals and extra points.
After reviewing video of the Game****s' 20-6 loss to Alabama last week, South Carolina Steve Spurrier pointed out Leigh Tiffin's use of the white tape to spot his kicks and reported it to the Southeastern Conference. Tiffin quickly put the tape in his pocket after kicking, Spurrier said.
Saban said he didn't know Tiffin was using the tape and said it isn't worth risking a 5-yard penalty. However, Saban said Tide coaches have found that more than half of the SEC's teams put something such as a piece of grass or mud on the field so the kicker knows where the ball will be spotted.
On Wednesday, Spurrier said he was told by the conference that what Tiffin did was against the rules. SEC officials received a formal complaint from South Carolina officials on Tuesday, league spokesman Charles Bloom said.
Tiffin hit both extra points and field goals of 25 and 35 yards in Alabama's win Saturday. He also missed a 49-yarder. The senior is 9-of-11 on field goals and 21-of-23 on PATs this season.
Spurrier said he has no idea if what he thinks happened is legal.
"I've never seen that before," Spurrier said. "But I'm sure they've probably been doing it all year."
The NCAA football rulebook (Rule 6-3; Article 10; subsection d) says:
"Any device or material used to mark the spot of a scrimmage place kick or elevate the ball makes the kick illegal."
The penalty is "illegal kick" and is five yards from the previous spot.
There are four things certain in life......
You are gonna LIVE, DIE, Pay Taxes, and Alabama is gonna cheat.......
Sorry Biggin, had to thrown that in there on BAMA week.... lol
Also, I can't wait until Saturday. I get to make my famous chili beans for the UT/Bama game. A little tradition my wife and I started when we first got married.
[IMG]http://www.gifsoup.com/view/926256/tennessee-vols-al-wilson-o.gif[/IMG]
Bookmarks